When can I visit?
- The shop is open 7 days a week, including most Bank Holidays. We are open Monday – Saturday from 10am until 6pm and Sunday from 11am until 5pm. Check Google Maps for Bank Holiday opening hours.
- You can also shop online any time you like.
Where is Oxford Yarn Store?
It's in the name! The shop is located in central Oxford, a short walk north from the high-street, on the beautiful North Parade Avenue.
Is there parking nearby?
- North Parade Avenue itself is pedestrianised but there is free parking available on the surrounding streets, the nearest being Canterbury Road, Winchester Road and Bevington Road.
- Please do check the signs and make sure you aren’t parked in a permit-only zone. The nearest short-stay paid car parking is on Norham Gardens on the opposite side of the Banbury Road from North Parade.
- For longer visits to the store, such as for workshops or days out in Oxford, we generally recommend parking at one of the city’s Park and Rides sites and travelling by bus to the shop.
Can I cycle?
- Of course! We love bikes in Oxford. Racks to lock your bike to are available on North Parade Avenue itself.
- Unfortunately we don't have space to store bikes inside the shop.
What about public transport?
- Buses: There are numerous buses you can use to get to the store. Several major bus routes run along the Banbury and Woodstock Roads from the city centre, get off at the Norham Road or Canterbury Road stops for us.
- Trains: Services come into Oxford from London, the south coast and the Midlands. We are a short taxi ride from the station, the no. 14 bus from the station will bring you along the Banbury Road to us, or if you fancy a stroll we are about a 25 minute walk away.
- E-Scooters: Oxford has a good network of scooters and parking bays available to rent using the 'Voi' app. (You will need to download it and register in advance)
Is the shop accessible?
We will do everything in our power to facilitate anybody who wants to come to our shop.
As charming as out home is, it is an older building, so our floors aren’t perfectly straight, and our entrance is a bit narrow.
However, we can open both front doors to allow access for wheelchairs and prams up to 94cm wide. There is a small metal lip door jam about 2cm high.
There is a step down into our workshop space and the door is narrower, however with notice, we can move the workshop to the front of the shop.
Please get in touch if you are still unsure or need additional requirements: we are here for everybody.
Products & Stock
What products do you stock?
Specialising in natural fibres and British wool, we have a fabulous range of yarns for knitting and crochet from a range of brands brands, including (but not limited to) Knitting for Olive, Isager, Rowan, Jamieson’s of Shetland, Sandnes Garn, and West Yorkshire Spinners.
We also stock a vast range of needles, notions and a selection of knitting/crochet patterns, books and magazines.
To explore our full range, please visit our online shop.
We do not stock fabric, sewing thread, ribbon or general haberdashery supplies.
Are your yarns sustainable?
Please read about our mission here.
Do you have any locally sourced yarn?
Do you sell any pre-made garments?
At times we have knitted hats and socks for sale, but most of the garments in the shop are samples only, and therefore not for sale.
We do, however, stock a vast array of patterns for all kinds of garments, and offer a variety of beginners classes so can learn how to knit garments, and open yourself up to the endless joy that crafting offers!
Can you knit garments to order?
Sorry, we don’t offer a garment knitting service.
Can you repair my garment?
Sorry to hear that it's damaged- we know how heart-breaking that can be!
Unfortunately we are unable to offer a repair service.
We may be running a course so you can learn youself. Check here.